It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 am

Jousting on Wikepedia 
Professional
Professional

Post Jousting on Wikepedia
Folks--

I apologize for being absent from here for awhile. A combination of out-of-town trips, mid-terms to grade, dissertation readings, and other complications have slowed me down a bit.

One of those complications is that what little online-time I had remaining has been taken up with trying to straighten out the remote viewing entry on Wikepedia (never mind even beginning with the dowsing entry!). As president of the International Remote Viewing Association and one of the more infamous proponents of remote viewing, I figured that I could be helpful there. I could not have been more wrong! Wikepedia is its own univese of un-constrained "editors" who are free to arbitrarily change any entry that doesn't suit them.

After extensive debates on the talk-page with skeptics whose only goal is to undercut attempts to create objective, "neutral" entries and replace them with their own biases, and after seeing my own and others' attempts to present neutral but accurate information swept away with no sign it had ever been there, I have realized there is no point -- and no end -- to that battle.

The entries on remote viewing and other parapsychological topics, to include dowsing, are incomplete, slanted, and over time will grow ever more skeptical in tone and content, I predict. I suggest you warn friends or others you come in contact with not to trust Wikepedia entries on these or other controversial topics. The idea behind WIkipedia was a good one, but it has failed to manage controversial topics, especially those dealing with parapsychology.

Best wishes,
Paul

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 pm