It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:14 pm

DVD's in the public libraries? 
Post DVD's in the public libraries?
I was thnking that it would be really nice if the public libraries had the DVD's available. It would be good for Senior Citizen centers also. There are alot of people who don't have the means that could be learning and perhaps doing good things for our fellow man through the DVD and RV sets. When people buy the sets, it's to keep them forever. When it's borrowed, it's to learn and give back. Might be a thought for the future. (Pointing my finger at Paul :D ) Warmest to all! Lee

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09 pm
Professional
Professional

Interesting idea -- of course, as any librarian will tell you, not everyone borrows a book or CD with the itention of returning it! In fact, some authors find it flattering that their books are the most stolen from public libraries! :lol:

Best,
Paul

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:53 am
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Post Finding Awesome Stuff at Libraries
Paul Smith wrote:
of course, as any librarian will tell you, not everyone borrows a book or CD with the intention of returning it!

A friend of mine --- no, not me : an actual friend ! --- found a rare, older, kinda beat-up, first-edition Edward Gorey book at the public library. :shock: She checked it out to read and then "lost it". Paid $20 fee to the library so that they could get a brand-new one.

Is this justifiable? Is it ethical ? Perhaps, perhaps not. Guess it depends.

The patrons were able to enjoy a brand-new book, and she preserved the original so that no further damage would occur. Granted hers had the library stamped on it and other items glued on - so it wasn't pristine, but to her, she loved that book more than anything.

I think the book is happier where it is - protected and loved. Would I do the same as my friend? Probably. If it was Edgar Allan Poe - definitely ! :D

I worked in a library once, and quite frequently the older beat-up ones are sold for a $1 at an annual sale or unfortunately just thrown away/recycled when they needed to be replaced.

Corsetconvict
93/93

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Post Libraries
Well, there you go! Paul, you need to stock the libraries and get a residual income from re-orders...... or you need to become a librarian. (Fathom that! :wink: )

Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:58 pm
Professional
Professional

Well, I shall keep the library idea in mind. Unfortunately -- I know this is counter-intuitive -- but I have to buy sets myself from the production company. They gave me ten free when the set first came out, but said I was on my own from there. There is a further issue with libraries: It's harder to donate something than you think. These days they have to get everything approved before they can add it to their collection, and if it's not mainstream they often turn it down. One of my son's friends inquired if I might donate a copy of my book to their middle school (which is literally right across the street from where we live), and the librarian's response was that it would have to be vetted by a committee first, then get the approval of someone else, and so on and so on. It's actually easier to get something in to a library if it is requested by a patron, and is available through the normal buyer or distributor that the library uses to obtain its usual acquisitions. I guess those have been already 'vetted'! You may actually try that route with your local library and see if you can leverage it in that way.

Best,
Paul

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:28 pm