It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Try softer 
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post Try softer
A guy I did martial arts with for around 10 years always used to say, "try softer" instead of "try harder". I loved this, because it embodied the philosophy of leverage and thought over brute force.

I was practicing dowsing with a pack of cards. I shuffle the deck, draw a card out of the middle and place it face down on the table. My taskis, "show me the color of the card on the table". I then use the pendulum and hold in mind, "is the card red" and wait for a yes or no answer.

I had mixed success but slightly higher than chance.

What I finally noticed is that the times I got it right, the pendulum started to move slightly in the correct direction even before I fully formed the "is it red" question in my mind. The times I wasn't successful I was trying to hard to focus on the question and waiting for a very large response from the pendulum.

I bleieve that my analytical mind was getting in the way and I was trying to get the pendulum to respond in a way I expected.

I know that verbalizing, even internally, uses the linguistic center of the brain which is up in the cerebral cortex. I believe that before I form my question in mind verbally it is formed as a thought or intention pattern deeper in the mind.

fMRI studies have shown that all decisions begin in the emotional area of the brain then spread to the cortex (conscious area).

I think this may demonstrate how the dowsing information bubbles up throught the unconscious.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:39 pm
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

I think it follows the same lines as stop careing so much. Over thinking always leads to AOL. :cry:

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:55 pm
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

I tend to over analyze. My accuracy is much better when I just let it happen instead of focus on it.

Thu May 15, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile YIM