It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:40 am

Confused About Focusing on Targets 
New User
New User

Post Confused About Focusing on Targets
I just received the DVD course and I really like it so far. I'm just a little confused about how to focus on the targets. I understand that we can't verbalize our goal and I think that also means you can't "ask the question in your head" because that means you're putting it into words. Am I right in thinking it's also not good to visualize the target (like picturing the coin under the cups as I dowse)?

What I'm unsure about is the statement, "Focus on the intent of the task". How do i focus on the intent of the task without thinking about the goal or visualizing it?

Thanks!

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 pm
Professional
Professional

Post Re: Confused About Focusing on Targets
I've found that in some cases visualizing the target as I dowse helps, as long as I don't name it, and as long as the image in my mind is actually of the target and not itself a piece of analytical overlay. (Visualizing a quarter when the coin under the cup is not a quarter is not helpful.) Using words fires up the left brain and the analytical mind. Images are more of a right brain thing. In any case, you have to keep the task in mind, writing out and verbalizing the task before you begin. Once you pick up your rods or pendulum, no more words.

It's really not all that difficult. Think of all the things you do every day to accomplish goals that you don't use any words for. Take washing your hands as an example. Unless you're seriously challenged in some way you probably don't say to yourself "Now I'm going to reach out with my right hand and grasp the water faucet handle and turn it 90 degrees counter-clokwise and pick up the bar of soap with my left hand and now I'm going to put them both in the stream of water and create a sudsy solution and spread it evenly over my hands and then put down the soap and rinse my hands and then turn off the water," or say "I need to wash my hands, I need to wash my hands, I need to wash my hands, I need to wash my hands" as you wash. You might say "I need to wash my hands" before you start and then you don't think any more about it as you do it. You can keep the goal in mind for the short time it takes to complete the activity without repeating the words.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:36 pm
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

I am not real familiar with this teaching. I assume it is to quiet the mind and not let the conscious mind take over and make a decision about the dowse task.

I was taught differently. I was taught that a human contains 3 things mentally, a conscious, subconscious, and superconscious mind. To me the subconscious and the superconscious are NOT the same thing. It is explained like this:

An old sorcorer took 5 apprentinces out into the desert, each with a small object, and one with a small table. They came to the base of a shear cliff about 1,000 feet high. He had them sit down the table and place all the objects on it. One a key, another a cup, a third a book, a fourth a candle, and the fifth an apple. Then they spent 2 days climbing the mountain and comming to the top of the cliff. Look down at the speck on the desert floor that is the table, he said. That represents your conscious mind and the objects represent everything in it. Your life experience in total. Now look out as far as you can see to the vast expance to the horizon. That represents your subconscious mind. On the table is the known, to the horizon is the unkown. BUT! beyond the horizon is a vastness that can't be seen, in every direction. That is the unkowable! The superconscious mind, your soul!

My mentors always said that all correct dowsing answers came from the superconscious mind. The subsconscious mind was as bad to lie as the conscious mind. It is the place of the "still small voice" that must run the rod. You must not, you cannot care what the answer will be, for the instant you do, all is lost.

If this exercise gets you to there, that is very good!

Mitch

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:37 pm
Professional
Professional

Somehow or other, I don't recall having noticed this thread before, so I'm sorry I'm coming to it late. Jason -- I'm not sure why you're saying "we can't verbalize our goal." It is perfectly permissible to, for example, just before you start dowsing, to say and write one's intent for the dowsing session. And in fact you _have to_ keep your mind focused on what your target/goal is while you are dowsing. In that respect, Bombur's advice is right on the mark, especially that you don't have to use "word thoughts" but in fact can use "image thoughts" instead (in fact, preferably).

Mitch, while I appreciate your comments on conscious/subconscious/superconscious, I think that model is too vague to be helpful (and maybe even obsolete, given the increase in scientific knowledge about the mind and brain we have available). The DVD set has a segment that explains the non-local perception - subconscious - ideomotor effect causal chain that is likely what really drives dowsing. This model has proven quite successful in teaching and improving dowsing ability.

Best wishes,
Paul

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:33 pm