It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Map Dowsing Task 
Professional
Professional

Post Map Dowsing Task
Map Dowsing Task

I'm trying to use geocaches as practice targets for map dowsing. The only information I had about the first geocache I targeted was that it was somewhere in Arizona, it's known as "Host Tree", its geocache code number is GC24YQB, and it was reported to have been visited and found to be there about three days before I dowsed for it.

I missed it by about 240 miles.

My Map:
Since I knew the target was in Arizona, I chose the DeLorme Arizona Atlas and Gazetteer for my search map. I began by opening the atlas to pages 38 and 39, a small scale (1:1,500,000) map on two pages of the whole state overlaid with a numbered grid corresponding to large scale (1:250,000) maps on other pages of the atlas.

My Plan:
Locate the target on the small scale map, then move to the corresponding large scale map for a more precise fix.

My Dowsing Tool:
I used a homemade pendulum made from a 3/8 oz. brass bullet shaped fishing weight with a nylon string through its center, dangling about 5 inches below the fingers of my right hand. I started by suspending the pendulum over a white reference card with black cross lines (+) on it and programmed for a left-right swing to indicate NO and a back and forth motion for YES.

My Task:
I wrote down the task as "Locate the Host Tree geocache (GC24YQB)". As a first step, I placed my left hand on the top half of the map and asked aloud "Is the 'Host Tree' cache in the northern half of the state?"

My pendulum swang to and fro over the reference card, indicating a YES. I placed my left hand on the bottom half of the map and asked "Is the 'Host Tree' cache in the southern half of the state?" The pendulum swang left and right over the card, indicating a NO.

I continued my questioning, using the same format: "Is the 'Host Tree' cache north of I-40?" "...south of I-40?" "...east of I-17?" Each time placing my left index finger on the map feature in the question while holding the pendulum over my reference card with my right hand. Eventually I narrowed it down to a little town east of Flagstaff called Winona. All of which is probably irrelevant, since I went astray from the very beginning. According to my feedback, the "Host Tree" geocache is near Childs, which is probably about as far south and west of the state's center as Winona is north and east of the state's center.

The Questions:
Is there a major flaw in my task statement? Is there a major flaw in my procedure? Or can I just assume I myself was at fault?

Options I had also considered were dowsing the first map as a matrix, since it has a grid laid out on it, or moving a straightedge across the map vertically and then horizontally while watching for a pendulum response. But since the map covered two pages, with the north on one page and the south on the other, it seemed natural to break it down into north and south from the very beginning.

And my big question is about the validity of my task statement.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:27 am
Professional
Professional

Post Re: Map Dowsing Task
The last "map" I used was this compass rose:

I tried dowsing from a regular map, but found it too distracting and requiring too much thinking. With the compass rose, I start from a reference point (the "last seen" position for a missing person) and dowse for direction and distance.

Then, I plot that on a regular map to get Latitude and Longitude of what we're trying to find.

I'm not very good at this, yet, probably because I'm not practicing everyday.

Per the suggestions from Paul and that missing-person tasker, I start these location-dowsings with a light RV reverie. For the missing person, I expressed (mentally emotionally) my empathy to the missing person and my desire to get better in order to help, and I expressed my thanks to the family and friends of the missing person for allowing me to practice with their loved one.

Last edited by edb on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm
Professional
Professional

You say you "start these location dowsings with a light RV reverie." Can you tell me more about that?

When I do RV, I try to not be consciously aware of the target to avoid front loading effects, but when I dowse, I try to consciously keep the target and tasking at the center of my awareness. I'm having a little trouble blending the two approaches.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:44 am
Professional
Professional

It seems to be a daydream-like experience where I assume I'm at the start (or reference) location -- then I assume I know how to get to the destination -- then I go to the destination -- then I'm at the destination. I record whatever I see-feel-hear-do along the way.

(The process is much more fluid than the step-by-step description. To me, it just happens like a daydream. The tough part is to remember what happened and record it without embellishment. The center of the compass rose is at the start (or reference) location.)

Supposedly, if these "experiences" match the evidence to a close degree, then your dowsing results are taken more seriously.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:01 am
Professional
Professional

edb,

I've been reading Skip Atwater's book, "Captain of My Ship, Master of My Soul." His description of the ERV process seems a lot like your description of the process you described for your location dowsing. You mentioned that the tough part is to remember what happened and record it without embellishment. Have you considered using one of those little voice operated dictation units and trying to talk to yourself during your session?

I wish I had something to report on my geocache dowsing, but I got sidetracked and haven't done any since my last post.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 am
Professional
Professional

Bombur wrote:
Skip Atwater's book, "Captain of My Ship, Master of My Soul."
I'll try to find that book. I think Paul's book mentioned it, too?

Bombur wrote:
Have you considered using one of those little voice operated dictation units and trying to talk to yourself during your session?
Tried that, then tried a video camera. (What a waste of tape in both machines... :roll: ) About as exciting as watching/hearing someone mumble in their sleep. Much better to wake up and write down or tell someone the "dream" immediately after waking. I guess, for me, it's like a porpoise/dolphin gliding underwater (subconscious) and popping above water (conscious) regularly for air.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 am