It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:12 pm

starting position 
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Post starting position
Is it ok to start my pendulum from a "still" position, or should I make it go in circles as shown on the DVD. Im not trying to break protocol, just what I have been used to. I have no trouble getting a yes/no answer from a still position.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:20 pm
Professional
Professional

Yes, some people start out with the pendulum stationary, and if that is what you are used to you can go ahead and try it that way. You're still going to want to establish a "yes" and "no" response. I've found, though, that it tends to be easier if the pendulum is already in motion, so you don't have to overcome initial momentum. But as they say, if it works, don't break it (oh, sorry that's not what they say -- but you know what I mean!)

Paul

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:58 am
Forum Beginner
Forum Beginner

Post Re: starting position
Crozier wrote:
Is it ok to start my pendulum from a "still" position, or should I make it go in circles as shown on the DVD. Im not trying to break protocol, just what I have been used to. I have no trouble getting a yes/no answer from a still position.

You're not breaking protocol. The DVD actually says you can start in a still position, it just doesn't demonstrate it like the circular video example.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:24 pm
New User
New User

I suggest that you start from a "still" position.
It is useful that your elbow is against your body.

I obtain answers with the rock crystal pendulum and a dictionary.
So I learned that it is important that the pendulum
has no metals attached to it and that the hand
that holds it neither. (no rings, bracelets or wristwatch)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Experienced User
Experienced User

How come?
i assume then that metal pendulums are no good??

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:45 pm
Professional
Professional

In my experience the material from which the pendulum is made doesn't make much difference, but many people are convinced that it does.

In my reading I've come across many references to pendulum materials for different purposes. Pendulums of metal, pendulums of wood, and of course, pendulums of crystals of various different materials are all supposed to have their own unique best uses. And I think that if you believe what those writers have proposed then the pendulum material probably will make a difference in your results like any other self fulfilling prophesy.

I regularly use a completely non-metal pendulum that I made myself from a wooden dowel, string, and plastic following directions in Nielson and Polanski's book "Pendulum Power". I also regularly use a metallic pendulum I made from a brass fishing weight and fishing line. I also occasionally use a hollow plastic pendulum in which a sample of the material I'm dowsing for, sometimes known as a "witness", can be placed. The idea of this last one is that the "witness" keeps your unconscious focused on the job at hand. I also have a nifty little pendulum made from a battery powered key chain accessory that shines a little blue light down on the surface below it. A small movement on the pendulum produces a much larger and more easily detected motion where the light strikes the surface.

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of any of these pendulums or of others I have tried except for the following:
The denser a pendulum is, the more easily it resists the influence of stray breezes. (Using my witness pendulum out of doors I sometimes dangle it inside a plastic bucket to get it out of the wind.) And the motion of some metallic pendulums can be affected by very strong magnetic and electrical fields. (No dowsing with iron pendulums inside of MRI machines!) And of course if the dowsing doesn't go well I can sell or trade the placer gold I have placed inside my witness pendulum for a few nights lodging and meals. But that's never happened yet. And speaking of things that haven't happened yet, I haven't tried dowsing with a pendulum made from radio-active material yet either. And I don't plan to.

Since the power that drives the motion of the pendulum is the unconsciously directed micro movements of your own muscles, not some mysterious unmeasurable magic force, it seems likely to me that your own unconscious beliefs have more effect on the results than the pendulum material. On the other hand, no scientist familier with the piezo-electric effect can deny that some crystals can transform energy and resonate when properly sliced, and crystals are fun to read about and collect and there's no reason not to use them if you enjoy that or if you think it does help.

Sun May 01, 2011 6:49 pm
Experienced User
Experienced User

Thank you Bombur for your answer.

Why does Polansky prefer pendulums that contain no metal? I am interested in knowing his reasoning behind it.

I agree with you that the material the pendulum is made of makes no difference. I have seen orgone pendulums as well but it is the unconscious that does the work not the weight at the end of a string!

Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

I'll throw my two cents in. The device acts as a transducer of energies. You might only pick it up unconsciously, but there is something there.

I read an article about physiophony and another about geophysical electrophony. The articles mentioned things like sharp objects, thin wires, pine needles, even wire framed eye glasses (I would add pendulums and dowsing rods) transducing energies from meteors, even earthquakes and northern lights into audible sounds. Why not dowsing energies, too? Maybe it's not audible, but something the dowser can feel even if it is only unconsciously. I realize many people including many dowsers think there is nothing there, no energies, but I totally disagree.

So that brings up the issue of what type material would work or maybe even what could filter out the unwanted signals from earthquakes, etc.
Guess that was more than two cents. LOL

Sun May 01, 2011 9:50 pm
Professional
Professional

Angelica wrote:
Why does Polansky prefer pendulums that contain no metal? I am interested in knowing his reasoning behind it.

I'm not sure about that. I think he is a big fan of dowsers building their own tools, and wood is fairly inexpensive and easy to work with, it isn't affected by magnetic or electrical fields, and if you accidently drop it in the creek, it floats! :lol:

Mon May 02, 2011 12:02 am
Professional
Professional

Regarding the possibility of dowsers sensing some special "dowsing energies" because of the material the pendulum is made of, wouldn't it be better to hold a sample of that material under your armpit where it might actually affect the pendulum's motion, no matter what the pendulum is made of?

If it takes a crystal ball hanging from a black silk thread to convince you that you have dowsing ability, you ought to use that, and don't take any guff from anybody about it, either. But for myself, I know that pendulums work as satisfactory indicators for me whether they are made from buttons or gold rings hanging from threads or from lamp filials on beaded brass chains. I have a pendulum in my pocket right now made from a brass fishing weight and nylon monofilament. I take it with me everywhere I go, and it works because I use it instead of wishing I had something else. "oh, I could answer that question if only I had a pendulum of black onyx with an opaline inclusion with me" is an excuse for failure you will never hear me make. The brass weight is effective, inexpensive, and easily replaced. I don't have to worry about losing it because it's easily replaced, and I've cheerfully given away a half dozen just like it to people who've learned how to use them in just minutes. I don't tell them they need special materials, so it works just as well for them as it does for me. (Don't get me wrong; I love me my black onyx, but really, it's just a rock.)

Mon May 02, 2011 12:42 am
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

I was going to add that it might depend on what type of dowsing you are doing. For example information dowsing (astral realm) is not the same as directional locating of a physical target (etheric realm). I suspect some dowsers do not operate in the physical realm. The Turenne pendulum is round and fitted with moveable magnets. Yes, to each their own.

Mon May 02, 2011 2:57 am
Professional
Professional

Post Re: starting position - keychain as a pendulum dowsing tool
I've seen someone use a keychain as a pendulum -- he held his keychain fob by his fingertips. From the fob there was a short chain to the keys, so his keys dangled freely.

I'm not sure what his starting position was, or how he used it. I asked him once, about what he was doing, but he never answered. He was concentrating. Although he was holding his keychain pendulum in front of his gaze, he seemed to be gazing beyond it, but his gaze was unfocused.

This was about 15 years ago, before I knew anything about dowsing. (I got my Technical Dowsing DVD Set about three years ago.)
___
Edit: The first time I saw my coworker do this I thought he was daydreaming. We were working overtime and weekends, so most of us were operating at the very boundary of sleep. So, we exercised our civic duty and made loud noises to rouse any of our team members who appeared to be too close to the edge (of slumber)...:-) I sang out his name and set my parts down on his desk as loudly as I felt the office could tolerate, but he was concentrating. Either he was ignoring me, or he hadn't heard me. His left hand was on the keyboard, his right arm resembled a pose like "the Loch Ness monster" -- or like an arm-wrestler with elbow on the table at the start of a match -- and held the key-chain fob in his fingertips.

Now, that was the first time I'd seen something like that. I didn't know how to react... maybe he was just daydreaming ~ in an unusual way ~ I was thinking. Later, when he mentioned that Dali -- the painter of the melting clocks ("The Persistence of Memory") -- would hold something that would make a loud noise if dropped, I thought that the keys were being used in order to stay awake. (Apparently, the inventor Edison did something similar: Dali would hold a spoon over a metal pan, and Edison would hold a ball-bearing over a pan. They would drift off to sleep while working on a problem, start to dream about it, and the loud noise would wake them so they could write -- or sketch -- the idea they dreamed.)

Most of the time, he was at his desk when I saw him holding his keys like that. I thought he was just trying to stay alert.

Later, the first time I saw him walking doing that -- and the way he was staring at his keys -- reminded me of Hollywood or television depictions of dowsers (I hadn't knowingly met a dowser at that time). He was purposefully pacing across the factory floor, holding his key-chain like a pendulum, appearing to be deep in thought -- working on a problem. (Actually, it reminded me of Hollywood or television depictions of sleepwalkers.) His eyes would stay on the key-chain, like a measuring instrument or like you'd move your cell phone around to find the position with the highest number of signal strength bars, and he'd appear to be sleep-walking.

Later, when I saw the dowsers on Paul's DVD, it instantly reminded me of my coworker and his keys. It looked a ~little~ strange, but he consistently produced innovative solutions.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:26 am